Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dating 101

After writing my previous post on Valentines Day, I figured it might be a good idea to write a follow-up on dating. Dating for most of us, is a complete mystery. You ask yourself all kinds of etiquette questions like, Do I pay? Should I bring her a gift? Should I open the door for her? What's a good place to take her on our first date? and so on... If you aren't asking yourself these questions, you need to be.
   Chivalry isn't completely dead. Women find it refreshing in today's age of one-night stands and that awkward "talking" stage.  For those of you oblivious to this, "talking stage" I'll elaborate more on that at a later date.

Here are some Tips to making sure your date runs smoothly.

1) Chilvary

--As before mentioned, Chivalry isn't dead.  I encourage all of you to open doors, pay for meals and show the utmost respect when on a date.  Dates are like a delicate flower. If you don't take care of them, they die on you and you're left alone and miserable.--



2) The Dad

--How do you impress a father? You don't...You just do your best not to screw up.  We men are very protective creatures, it's in our nature.  I don't have a little girl yet, but if I ever do, I can promise all of you she's not leaving the house until she's 30. The problem with dads...they've been there. They know what we're thinking, because they've thought the same thing.  So,your best bet with fathers, is just to show respect and hope for the best.--



3) First Dates

--For the most part I'm generalizing in this post, but I need to express the importance of any first date.  The first date is an opportunity to show her what your made of.  No, I don't mean in bed...You need to show her that you know how to take care of a lady. Again, not in the bedroom. Take her some place quiet, but with a lot of people. A nice restaurant, or perhaps ice skating....something along those lines. I'm against going to the movies on first dates, because you really can't talk to the person at all. Save the movies for later in the relationship. And YES, you will be paying for everything on the first date. Just accept it. I'm all about equality, but it's been this way for years. You can work out financial aspects of your relationship when your married, but you ain't gonna make it past first base without some manners.--



4) Group Dates?

--Personally, I enjoy Group Dating. It provides a nice buffer for a new relationship, by taking a lot of the awkwardness away. Sure, there's probably going to be a few crickets throughout the night.  When in doubt, turn to your buddy and start a conversation on sports.  I say this, with a word of warning. Don't end up forgetting about your date. It's important to find a balance. Women need attention and if you want this to work out, I suggest you feed her attention by the gallon--


5) Gifts, Compliments, Good Night Kisses, Oh My?

--Forgive the Wizard of Oz Pun, but I think it captures the fear we exude on these topics perfectly. We're in a strange place when it comes to women. We have to get our bearings quickly and always be on our toes.  Now, when it comes to gifts on a first date, I submit that less, is more.  Perhaps, a small bouquet of flowers or a tiny stuffed animal. Don't come charging in with a full on arsenal of crap,that's only gonna freak her out. A cute little teddy bear can go a long way and a single rose, always sets you up for a win.



From the moment you see her, to the moment she leaves, she's got to feel like the most beautiful woman on Earth.  Compliment her immediately after saying hi. A safe bet, is hair. Women, for the most part, spend a good deal of time on their hair and that's going to be compounded on a first date. Even if it looks like she hasn't done anything with it, go for it. Keep it simple and pretend like she's changed it. Try this: "Your hair looks great, did you do something with it?" Even if she says no, she's going to be tickled to death that you even asked. It's most certainly a win-win. Follow-up that compliment with the very general, but very effective, "You look great". I know, it sounds so boring, but it's a winning phrase. **Note: If you notice something new on her, point it out. Compliment her on it. Chances are, if it's new, she's into you.Women don't always purchase new things, just for the hell of it. If she went out of her way to look good, your off to a good start.**

Finally, the Good Night Kiss.  For this one my friends, you're on your own. I can't tell you anything about them. They are a great mystery to us all. This, is all about you. You are going to have to read the non-verbal signals your lady friend is giving you and react. My only advice is make sure it's the right time. "Hitch" was right...The first kiss is extremely important.** I would steer clear from tongue unless she initiates that herself.**--

I hope you guys were able to take something away from this entry. It's a simple run down and only touches the surface of what a Date entails. If you have any questions, leave a comment or tweet us @Guy_Code

No comments:

Post a Comment